Bison is an extraordinarily lean meat - even leaner than a boneless, skinless chicken breast. This means extra care needs to be taken when cooking it. Remember - low and slow is the way to go! They are a delicious way to eat healthier and still enjoy the same taste and texture as regular beef.
- Two 10 oz.Bison Strip steaks
- Two 10 oz.Bison Ribeye steaks
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp. fresh crushed or minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. minced dried onion
- 1 tsp. hot sauce or to taste (optional)
- Ground black pepper to taste
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl with a whisk, then pour the marinade into a 1-gallon plastic bag. Add the Bison steaks and place in refrigerator, laying flat, for at least 4 hrs. or, better yet, overnight.
Remove from marinade and sear both sides on a hot grill. Then, turn the heat down to medium and cook “Low and Slow” until medium rare, about 4-5 minutes per side. Use tongs, never a fork, to turn. Times will vary - be careful not to overcook! Let stand 10-15 minutes before cutting.