When you’re craving for something Cajun, you’ve got hundreds of delicious recipe choices to choose from. Out of the multitudes of recipes, some stand out more than others. Here’s one of them... Seafood Big Mamou - with a spicy tomato butter sauce.
This is the kind of dish that puts a lasting memory on your taste buds, and one that is so rich and full of the flavors from scallops, shrimp, and whitefish, you’ll want to sop up every last bit of sauce from your plate!
So, let’s get busy and get our Cajun on with Seafood Big Mamou in Spicy Tomato Butter Sauce, courtesy of DirtyLaundryKitchen.com
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2-4 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups diced sweet onion
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups diced green peppers
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 ½ tablespoons sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped green onions; divided
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon + Tabasco
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large sea scallop per person (add more scallops per guests)
- 2-3 shrimp per person
- 4 ounces of the white fish of your choice (or monkfish); in bite-size pieces
- Cooked rice for serving
- Dice the onions, celery and green peppers. Melt the butter into a large sauté pan (you can cut the amount of butter in half if desired).
- Add the thyme, salt, garlic powder, cayenne, black and white peppers, basil leaves. Stir well. Add the celery, onions, and green peppers.
- Cook a long time on medium heat until veggies are very soft (20+ minutes). Add 1 cup of the green onions, tomato sauce, half of the chicken stock, Worcestershire, Tabasco, and half of the tomato paste. Cook until thickened. Adjust seasoning. Add more paste if desired. Add more Tabasco. Just as you’re ready to serve, add in the seafood. Cook for a few minutes until it’s cooked through. If you add this too early, it will be overcooked and lose its tenderness.
- Serve over the rice along with the rest of the fresh green onions!
Surprisingly simple to prepare and divinely delicious to eat, lovers of shrimp and scallops won’t be able to get enough of this dish. So whether you’re in a Cajun kind of mood, want to celebrate Mardi Gras in a special way, or just having a seafood kind of day, Seafood Big Mamou Spicy in Tomato Butter Sauce is sure to satisfy!