When a special occasion calls for you to “show off” your culinary skills, put this amazingly delicious dish on the menu. Guaranteed to make you shine as a chef, its outstanding tapestry of tastes and flavors is in direct contrast to the time it takes to prepare. Your dinner guests will think you spent all day in the kitchen with this one!
A treasured taste of the south in the form of creamy grits serves as the base of this seafood sensation that’s topped with seared scallops, sweet onion, juicy grape tomatoes, savory bacon, fresh red bell pepper, and crisp edamame. Brought to you by the cooking experts at Coastal Living.com, your guests will be raving for days over this recipe.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 4 minutes
Ingredients (Creamy Grits):
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup uncooked regular grits
- Bring the first 4 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Gradually whisk in grits.
- Return to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat; cook 15 minutes or until grits are thickened, whisking often.
Ingredients (Scallop Skillet):
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 pounds sea scallops
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup shelled frozen edamame (green soybeans)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Prepare Creamy Grits; cover and keep warm
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 9 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Sprinkle scallops with ½ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Heat drippings over medium-high heat until hot. Add scallops, in 2 batches, and cook 3 minutes. Turn and cook 3 minutes. Remove scallops.
- Add butter to pan. Add onion and garlic; sauté, stirring often for 2 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and edamame; cook 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add wine and cook 30 seconds, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Add bacon, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon pepper, and tomatoes; cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until tomatoes soften. Return scallops to pan; cook 1 minute or just until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Serve over Creamy Grits.
With Lobster Gram, you can count on the best fresh-caught seafood to make any recipe the finest you’ve ever made. Since 1987, we’ve been America’s Lobster experts, sourcing the finest Lobster and Seafood for more than 30 years. And it’s all delivered fresh and direct to your doorstep. Plus, we’ve got the best-tasting fresh-caught and fresh-frozen scallops, shrimp and seafood treasures you’ll find outside of Maine, and the freshest crab meat you’ll ever taste. And we can ship it all to you wherever you are or your recipient is. Lobster Gram provides the best mail-order Maine lobster and gourmet seafood ingredients you’ll find anywhere. Place your order today!