Now that we’re in the season of Lent, if you’re looking for tasty, delicious seafood meals to serve during the weeks leading up to Easter, we have some outstanding recipe suggestions for you.
Today, we’re going to treat you to a Colombian soup recipe that’s easy to make and just takes simple ingredients to prepare. For a dinner during the week, or a Friday night meat alternative, it’s richly comforting, deliciously satisfying, and full of flavor!
This scrumptious recipe comes to us from MyColombianRecipes.com.
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup white rice
- 3 cups shrimp stock
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic, onion, red bell pepper and grated carrots. Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, ½ cup of water, shrimp and peas.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
Cook’s Note: You can simmer your peeled shrimp shells in water if you don’t have or wish to use shrimp stock. Just simmer the shells in water along with 1 onion and 2 peeled carrots for around 30 minutes. You can also top the soup with lime juice and diced avocado for a zesty taste.
Lobster Gram has the best-tasting, most succulent shrimp in a variety of sizes, fully cooked, peeled, deveined, and ready to serve or add to a recipe. And we can ship it to you wherever you are. Plus, Lobster Gram offers you the best mail-order Maine lobster and gourmet seafood you’ll find anywhere. Place your order today!